Buying a home can be a daunting process, especially if it is your first time purchasing a home. From budgeting to picking a location, there are so many decisions to be made. No worries, our team of Realtors® shared their expertise on the home buying process:
• Before you begin to house shop, take the time to develop a feasible budget. It is important to have a maximum price point in mind, so that you do not waste time looking at houses that are completely out of your price range. With an ideal price in mind, you can limit your house search and help quicken the process of finding your dream home. Working with an experienced mortgage lender can help you determine your budget.
• Have an idea of what kind of neighborhood you want to live in. When you are choosing a house, you are also choosing a lifestyle. Do you have children or are planning to have them in the future? If the answer is yes, then you want to look for houses in safe neighborhoods where quality schools are nearby. Do you love the great outdoors? Then, you most likely want to live in an area that offers wide green space for recreational fun. These kinds of decisions will aid you in minimalizing your search, and will ensure you not only love your new home, but you also love its location too.
• Know what you want in a home, but remain open-minded. It is great to have a wish list in mind when shopping for your home, but it is important to remember that no house is going to meet every single thing you are looking for. This is why it is important to prioritize the qualities you want most in your future home, so that your real estate agent can look for those homes first. Remain open to different options during the process, and take the time to go inside a house and explore before making a hard decision.
• You should be thoughtful in your decision, but sometimes you have to move quickly. Real estate never sleeps. At this time of year, the market is extremely hot. Properties that are in good shape do not stay on the market for long. When buying a house, you should think through your decision carefully, but if you wait too long, you could lose the sale to another buyer.
• Before you choose to buy a house, it is important that you have a full home inspection done. A professional can check the home’s infrastructure, plumbing, electrical systems and waste lines, ensuring that the home is safe to live in and will not need any costly maintenance done immediately after you purchase it.
For more advice on purchasing your first home in Edwardsville and surrounding Madison County communities, contact us today at 618-655-4100! If you are looking for a home in the St. Clair County market, please call 618-628-2400! Our friendly, talented team consists of experts of the region and we can help you find your dream home today.